Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Pictures That Lie

I chose to manipulate a photo of Gene Kelly from the hit musical "Singin' In The Rain."  The movie is a well recognized classic and the photo was used on the movie's poster; therefore, I was confident that the image would be easily recognizable to the general public.  Initially I took the photo and used the Polyganal Lasso to crop just Gene Kelly's image swinging from a light post on a rainy evening.  Likewise, I found a photo of the Eiffel Tower and adjusted the Hue, Saturation and Lighting to match that of the poster.  I then layered Gene Kelly over the tower and resized him to look, although not technically a realistic, but relatively believable size without making him too small to see.  I then placed text on the foreground to match, as well as possible, the "Singin' In The Rain" advertisement, and following at the bottom, "Goes To Paris," as a slightly humorous addition.  The manipulation was intended to look like an old-time movie poster as a spin on an American classic.  It was not meant to offend or harm anyone and I do not believe it did so.  I chose to read the article, "Journals Find Many Images In Research Are Faked."  It put an interesting perspective on the work done in the sciences and, specifically, the measures being taken to scrupulously analyze submitted images to check for photo manipulation.  I found it particularly applicable to my life because I am very interested in the sciences and as I learn more and more about Histology, I see the ease in changing a photo of a slide to meet academic expectations.  Likewise, the article specifically points out the ease of manipulating a photograph to make something fake look real, so I really emphasized the outrageousness of my photo to make the fake semi-unbelievable.  This added a humorous aspect to my photo because, let's be honest, Gene Kelly is no King Kong. 



Young, Jeffrey R. Journals Find Many Images In Research Are Faked.  Chronicle of Higher Education; 6/6/2008, Vol. 54 Issue 39, pA1-A11, 3p, 3 Color Photographs.  9 November 2010. http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail?vid=3&hid=7&sid=9ad64d42-7f29-499e-ba82-adbec5b529a9%40sessionmgr13&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#db=a9h&AN=32538039

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this picture it is very cute! It could be a great new musical :)

    ReplyDelete